Accredited Exercise Physiologists
Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEP) are university-qualified allied health professionals specialising in designing and delivering safe and effective exercise interventions for people with a broad range oh health issues including chronic medical conditions, injuries or disabilities. Services delivered by an AEP are also claimable through the National Disability Insurance Scheme, most private health insurers, Medicare and the Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA)
Can an AEP help me
Whether you simply want some advice on how to move better to treat your specific needs or you’re living with a chronic condition, illness, or injury listed below, an AEP can help:
- Chronic Disease Management (Cardiovascular, Metabolic, Respiratory)
- Mental Health including depression, anxiety, schizophrenia
- Neurological/neuromuscular disease/condition (Accquired brain injury, stroke, MS, Parkinsons, Spinal Cord Injury, Celebral Palsy)
- Musculoskeletal disease (including arthritis, osteoporosis/osteopenia, acute and/or chronic musculoskeletal issues)
- Healthy and Active Ageing including falls prevention
- Weight loss, improved health and fitness
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Support cancer treatment and/or recovery
AEP the Physio Smart way
"If the benefits of exercise could be packaged into a pill, it would be the most widely prescribed and beneficial medicine in the world" – Dr Jacinta Brinsley
At Physio Smart, we approach movement and exercise programming from the ground up. We assess your mobility, stability and strength and co-design a program tailored to you: your body, your life and your goals. Something that feels safe, enjoyable and meaningful.
Movement is fundamental for everything we want to do in life and constitutes a large part of our quality of life! That's why we cannot emphasise enough how important the basics really are when it comes to moving. A movement approach that keeps your 90-year-old body in mind. It’s no good making it to 90 if you can’t put your undies on, pick up your groceries or arm wrestle the grandkids. But also recognises you’re more than just a body.
Start your movement journey with us Initial consultation
Includes a detailed discussion of your medical history, lifestyle and physical activity habits, short and long-term goals and potential barriers to overcome. Relevant movement assessment and testing to create a plan to help you achieve your health goals.
Note: existing Physio Smart patients may have a 30-minute initial consultation.
Follow up consultation
Review your progress
Exercise therapy session
Revisit short-term goals and discuss long-term lifestyle habits
To learn more about what to expect download this helpful resource.
Let’s create sustainable healthy habits together
Did you know...
- The global guidelines for physical activity are 150 minutes of moderate-vigorous intensity, per week for adults (or 75 minutes of high intensity), but only 75% of people achieve this.
- People who don’t meet the guidelines are at a 20-30% increased risk of death compared to those who do!
- Up to 5 million deaths per year could be avoided by increasing physical activity.
It’s a bit grim hey?
The flip side is it’s medically proven that people who do regular physical activity significantly lower their risk of:
- Osteoporosis and sarcopenia
- Heart disease
And improve your:
- Cognition, memory and overall brain health
- Mood, mental health and quality of life
- Sleep quality (which is SO important for our health)
Want to know a little more about what happens when you start exercising?